1. A delivery van jumped the curb on a bustling chinatown street yesterday avnd plowed theough a group of preschoolers as they strolled single file holding a walking rope while returning from a library – killing two of the youngsters and critically injuring another.
2. the freak accident occured at around 11:30 a.m., when the driver of the gray van hoppedcout to make a delivery on East Broadway and accidentally left it in reverse instead of park authorities.
3. The vehicle began to roll backward and veered across the street through a nostanding zone where it mounted the sidewalk , crushing the three kids.
4. ” It went up on the sidewalk and pinned the kids there. It’s just day before the Chinese New Year and the streets were packed. It was instane,” said witness Anthony Amoroso.
5. The children were among a group of 3_ and 4-year-olds from the Red Appele Child Development Center Market Street who were returningg to the center from public library on Broad- way.
6. A woman who was it the children immediately began screaming.
7. ” She was screaming for help. I started to cry,” said Katherine Montalvo. ” I ran over, and there was a lit of blood. One child was like an accordion, crushed uop in ball. they were hit so hard, they on the floor. The children weren’t moving.”
8. Hayley Ng, 4 , was declared dead at the scene. The two others were taken to New Yourk Downtown Hospital, where Diego Maetinez, , died an hour later. The third, Emma olsen, 4, was in critical condition at Bellevue Hospitsal, where she was transferred. Another 11 children and two adults were hit and taken to bellevue, where they were treated for minior injuries and released.
9. The van’s driver, Chao Fu, 52 of Sunset Park, Brooklyn, who works for the Wall Street-area restaurant china Chalet, remained at the scene. ” He was in a state of shock. he couldn’t even move,” witness Pamela Leitstein said.